Kempu Chutney | Red Chutney | Chutney for Mysore Dosa

Whenever I had Mysore dosa in hotels, I always wondered how this red chutney is made. The chutney is spicy and tangy and I thought that the red color comes from tomato added to the chutney. Yes, I was wrong! I then Googled and got tired, coz nowhere I could find the authentic recipe. Then came to my rescue, a lady, in her YouTube Channel-Swayampaaka taught me how to make this red chutney. Kempu - red in Kannada...so Kempu chutney! Since I didn't know this 'kempu', even Google couldn't spare me😜

This red color comes from a chilli variety in Karnataka called 'byadagi chilli'. This chilli is less spicy yet adds beautiful color to the dish (like kashmere red chillies). Please try this chutney atleast once. You will love it!
Ingredients:

Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
Fried gram/ pottu kadalai - 3 tbsp
Garlic - 3 cloves
Guntur Chilli - 3
Byadagi Chilli - 3 (instead of byadagi chillies, you can add kashmere red chillies or even kashmere red chilli powder)
Tamarind - 1 inch sized
Salt - as required
Water - as required

Method:

In a mixie, add all the ingredients, add required water and grind it to a chutney.

Make dosa on tawa and spread this chutney.
Spread some potato masala on top and serve the 'Mysore Masala Dosa' with coconut chutney and sambhar.


Comments