Rasam Powder | ரசப் பொடி

This is not the usual rasam podi that you guys think! I learnt this podi recipe from 'Mountbatten Mani Iyer' in one of his interviews. Omg! Rasam was 'vera level' with this podi. He mentioned this as 'mela podi' (மேல பொடி)-as the powder is sprinkled over rasam. I was not an ardent lover of rasam. But after trying this recipe, I started taking at least two servings of rasam rice. Make rasam with this podi and thank me later!
Ingredients:

Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Tur dal - 1 tsp
Chana dal - 1 tsp
Pepper corns - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli - 6
Asafoetida - 1 small piece or 1 pinch (powdered)
Curry leaves - few
Ghee - 1/2 tsp

Method:

Heat ghee in a tadka pan, roast all the ingredients until they turn golden brown.
Allow the mixture to cool. Grind them in a mixie to a coarse powder.
Note:

I make this podi as and when required. I always prefer freshly ground podi for rasam.
One can make rasam for 4 people with these ingredients.

Comments